Wednesday, October 10, 2012

"Ohhhhh baby I just orgasmed...Now get off me!"


“Women might be able to fake orgasms but men can fake whole relationships.” This thought-provoking and gender stereotypical bold statement was whispered in my ear by a tiny and fully sassy old-lady who attended one of my Valentine’s day stand-up comedy acts a few years back. She came up to me after the show in response to a few colorful jokes (or at least attempts at humor) about women’s ability to fake and pretend they are orgasming during sex often times to end undesirable and un-pleasurable intercourse with their partner. There should be no dispute in believing faking orgasmic completion is relationship deception. This week I will look at the context of this kind of dishonesty as well as other forms of romantic sexual deception.

In a 2008 study, researchers in the psychology department at Cal State Fullerton found that 45% of people (mostly women) in romantic relationships had in fact faked an orgasm. Since reading this study I have been vigorously attempting, you guessed it, to get ahold of 45% of my past lovers in order to confront them about their possible deception. Just I had expected they all continued their deceptive lies by inflating my sense of sexual self-worth by lying about another category that was concluded in the 2008 study. The researchers also discovered 31% of people tested, reported they had deceived their partners by telling them they were “great in bed” when in fact their partner was “terrible”. The psychologists Marelich, Lundquist, Painter, and Mechanic called this type of relationship deception avoidance motivated. But I’m sure my former partners who said I was “great”, 100% surely meant it…right?

How many of us have lied in order to avoid conflict and confrontation? Wait, let me go ahead an answer that; 99%! (There always has to be an exception or at least some one lying about their lying). That number of 99% is based on my intended as well as unintended social research as a 30 year old ‘serial dater’ and should certainly not be challenged, disputed, or refuted (But I welcome you to try).  Avoidance motivated lies are the most common deceptive practice in romantic relationships. These types of lies could also include; having sex with a partner when you did not want to in order to please them, or even having sex to simply maintain and continue the relationship (Marelich, Lundquist, Painter & Mechanic, 2008).

I’m guilty of these forms of relationship deception and its liberating to admit it. I once told my lover she was an “incredible artist of sex”  when she was actually below or sub-par my expectations while making-lust with her when I truly did not want to in order to keep the relationship going and avoid loneliness ALL while faking an orgasm. I cannot tell whether I am healthy or sick for this; you can decide. The four researchers mentioned above might label me ‘The king of avoidance motivated deception’ because of my frauds all occurring almost simultaneously, which is a crown I would wear proudly the next time I “whore” myself out to avoid conflict and being alone. This paragraph may have had a little facetiousness’ in it but I believe you get my nudge.

Obviously I’m teasing a little bit with my sarcasm; but did you know hurtful-teasing in romantic relationships can be considered another form of deception? In a separate recent study, a group of researchers defined 'deceiving' as essentially any communicator strategically controlling information in their messages to their partner in order to manipulate the truth. Based on this definition, hurtful teasing is then without question, deception. When people tease in romantic relationships they usually point out physical flaws, strange habits, their partners clothing choices, and many other not-so-flattering observations. This can be viewed as truth “in disguise”. In this study, the researchers pointed out that 94% of people in romantic relationships reported using hurtful-teasing as a strategy to disguise the truthfulness of the tease.

A hurtful-tease, related to sex because that’s what the people want to hear about, could be masked in sarcasm with something like; “I love the way your butt jiggles during sex”, or “Ahh my chubby-bunny gets so worn out and exhausted when we make love and your penis is so cute darlin” or even, “Geeze babe, you might wanna start doing kegel exercises, you’re no spring chicken anymore ha-ha”.

The examples of sarcastic hurtful-teasing are considered relationship deception because the person issuing the statements is disguising their upfront and honest feelings in a tongue-in-cheek manner but still hoping for results to serve their own personal interests. The man commenting on his girlfriend’s backside jiggling is trying to playfully inspire her to lose weight. The woman speaking of her man as a “chubby bunny” is hoping for the same, but also throwing spirited ‘poison darts’ at the size of his penis. The man making fun of his lady’s vagina is expecting her do something about it. I think most people would agree with the idea that a strong majority of all jokes have at least a sliver of truth motivating their performance. That sliver being concealed is deception.

I guess what I have learned from these studies on romantic relationships deception is; that I should lie if I really want a successful sexual partnership…or maybe not? Until next time...question everything your partners says or oppositely give them the benefit of the doubt; hell what I know I’m just a ‘serial dater’ with loneliness issues.       

5 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha ha!! From beginning to end this was a hoot to read. AND, I now feel insecure to the point where I'm working on my Kegels as I respond. ;) The segue into hurtful-teasing was fluid, and brought up an aspect of relationships that I have not encountered before. I know I have done the hurtful-tease, and have received a couple as well (hence the Kegels) so it made me wonder and question, which is just what you want a reader to do. You have a distinct "voice" in your blogging, it is humor with a bit dirt and a touch of bite. I think it works really well for this genre. Don't forget to not only back up your statements in text, but also list your articles at the bottom of the blog as well. Fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will second Christine's comments. Since you don't have questions from students (maybe scared them off?) I will ask you something. Let me set this up by saying that I think you've done a good job in this post of pointing out some types of deception that we don't normally think of as deception. So, here's my question for you. How does the research define deception? What gets included in the definition, and what does not get included? It seems to me that with some definitions Everything we say would be deceptive because we are always choosing what to say and what not to say. What say you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haahaa..."a bit dirt with a touch of bite"? Well thank you...I Guess. Yeah multitasking while typing huh? Impressive...me too, wait that doesn't work for me...boo! The hurtful teasing is something we all do cause like the cliche says, "the truth hurts". But the analyzing of your partners teasing comments can be exhausting and hurt more so maybe we should 'say it like it is'? Nawwwwww, I don't think that will be effective. Joke-lie away people. Thanks Christine for the 'voice' comment, I appreciate it for sure. Yeah, I forgot to reference the articles at the end. I guess I could add them in a comment?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Reeder, I do fear I may have scared off student responses...but that is just me being me, so I hope it's not the case. Your correct in how some of the research defines deception as just about everything we say and how we respond because it's strategic. Many of the researchers I have read look at emotions and motive, as the main components of deception in romantic relationships. Because deception is a strategy, it is seen as the deceiver attempting to gather personal gain from their lying. Whether that gain be relationship satisfaction, intimacy, controlled privacy, status, respect, or even se. If the person in the relationship is seeking to gain the others resources through 'trickery' essentially then they are in fact, deceiving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike,
    Interesting post. I found myself wondering if society has any shred of integrity when it comes to interpersoanl romantic relationships. Did you find information about why we ALL lie? Do we lie to protect ourselves or our partners? Do you think that a small lie justifies protecting the one you say you lover? Are all lies bad? I get the feeling from your blog that you are an all or nothing guy. True?
    Hurtful teasing - I have friends who would tell you that all teasing is hurtful because we couch our real feelings in the tease. What do you think. Is all teasing hurtful? Be honest - no deception!

    Your post made me consider honesty and how our society claims honesty as one of the most important factors in a relationship. So how dishonest are all of us - because we are hypocrits.

    ReplyDelete