Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Deception in Sexual History Disclosure


Mike Polotto

Research Question:

What do romantic relationship partners most often deceive each other about? (ever-changing)

 

                Since I was a teenager I have heard the unwritten “rule of thirds” when it comes to disclosing the amount of sexual partners a person has been with.  This ‘rule’ has haunted me and had me questioning the truthfulness of just about every lover I’ve had in the beginning disclosure stages of our relationships. I can remember when I was 19 I fell for this adorable and ridiculously sweet cheerleader at my first college. She seemed completely trustable and credible with everything she did or said. Then the often dreadful conversation of past sexual history came up. I told her my number with complete honesty because I had no shame. She then responded with her number, 4. I trusted her disclosure was honest and we continued our relationship. A few days later one of my friends reminded me of this ‘rule’ and that I should multiply her number by 3 and that will help me reach the truth about her past history. This idea ate me up to the point of exhaustion and I was internally forced to end the relationship. Obviously this ‘times-3’ notion is not scientifically proven but yet its effects can be brutal. It was been portrayed in popular movies and television shows however, so that in turn means it certainly must be fact…right?

                In romantic relationships the disclosing of sexual history can be an issue that either adds to, or breaks down the growth of the particular relationship. It has been a hot-button of deception concerning romantic partners since Adam met Eve (obviously this is an exaggeration because they were both virgins).  There have been numerous studies which have analyzed the ideas of sexual disclosure. Anne Luchetti led one of these to explore deception on the topic. She placed the disclosure under two categories; “the need to reveal”, and the “need to conceal”.

                Safe-sex comes in many forms nowadays; the “need to reveal” is considered one of them. It is seen as trusting your partner enough to disclose potentially risky sexual history. This empowers your partner with helpful information that allows them to make up their own mind about continuing with the relationship in regards to sexual practices. Luchetti also analyzed the “need to conceal”; this is a form of protecting oneself in sexual history disclosure. The ‘concealer’ may be worried their upfront honesty could lead to embarrassment and potentially harm the relationship in its development stages. They also may feel their sexual history is irrelevant to their current situation so why reveal potentially harmful material. This is a form privacy protection in the early realms of a romantic relationship.

                Another study done by researcher Wendy L. Nichols of Marrimack College also looked into protection of one’s privacy in sexual history disclosure.  She found that the person who feels they have the complete right to control and regulate their sexual information history may feel they are free to regulate access to it as well. These folks believe this form of information isn’t necessary history their partner is entitled to know. Nichols found that this type of concealment does in fact fall under the label of deception. Is holding back of information in, romantic relationships, which could potentially harm your partner in fact deceiving them?

                The obsession with sexual partner numbers is no doubt and issue that affects romantic relationships. We as individuals in romantic dyads must learn to weigh our own pros and cons, positives and negatives, as well as levels of security in our own personal relationships. We should work to ignore the social pressures and media representations of how relationships ‘ought to be’, and take control of who, what, and when we are happy and satisfied. If we are comfortable with our partners then we should work to trust them until there is an upfront issue that makes that no longer possible. Who your lover was with in the past, or the amount of people they have been with, should not hold weight in your decision to continue developing the relationship or end it. We all have a past we cannot change; we should not waste precious energies attempting to worry about ours or others. We have a future that requires the necessary attention in order to reach the satisfaction we all deserve. Focus on tomorrow and yesterday is but a memory.

10 comments:

  1. This is such a great topic. I had always believed that honesty is the best policy until about a year ago when a guy I was dating wanted to know about my relationship with my ex-husband. I thought it was a little weird that he was asking such very personal things, and at that point I definitely fell into that “need to conceal” category for the first time. There are definitely details of previous relationships that don’t need to be revealed to current partners. I’m sure there are plenty of details that if shared would be detrimental to a new relationship, but I wonder where that line is.
    I have a little bit of a difficult time with it going the other way though. It seems that there are a few things that a person must reveal if they are going to be honest enough (whatever that means) with the person they are currently in a relationship with. Obviously any dangerous health issues, but where do you draw the line? At something that could potentially affect their physical health, emotional health, the future of your relationship? Did you research shed any light on any of those issues?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting that you said "honesty is the best policy", because I guess I'm wondering what "honesty" actually means. If the question is never asked, then is it considered dishonest not to willingly disclose the information? The line of what is needed to be shared is a fascinating one when it comes to romantic relationships. I totally understand how it made you uncomfortable the guy was asking so many questions about your ex-husband. Makes you wonder what his motivations were, or if it's simple insecurity. My research didn't actually touch on specifics of disclosing health issues or dangerous aspects but I hope to find out more about that. I also wonder the legalities of not telling a partner about health risks and contractions. Thank you for the comment and the questions, theybhave added to my scope of study.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I have never heard of the rule of three! Isn't it funny how stories can affect us for such a long time? I'm thinking about how this "need to know" may change over time. When you are on your third divorce, I kind of don't think you care how many people your 52-year-old girlfriend has been with :). I'm sure there is a lot more to discover on this topic- should be a great semester.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe Dr. Reeder has never seen "American Pie 2." I enjoyed your clever opening paragraph and pop-culture reference, although I'm not sure "trustable" is a word. ;) I was drawn in to your blog from beginning to end. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Blog! Very interesting topic and very well written.

    I have often wondered about that and I do think the "rule of thirds" exists because of societal stereotypes. For example a man with "high/low numbers" is perceived in a completely different light than a woman with “High/low numbers” hence the bolstering by a multiple of 3 for men and the more conservative approach division by a factor of 3 for women. Interestingly though, it seems more important to men how many people a female partner has been with than it seems to matter for women. Could this be a play off the same phenomenon above?

    Secondly, I often wonder if it is really the number of people that concerns men or rather the familiarity with those specific numbers that worries men. From a man's perspective For example in your case where a girl says 4 people it is entirely different if those four people are people you or her will not likely be seeing or meeting at all such as high school boyfriends, people in different countries and so on. That number is made far worse if it is for example 4 mutual friends, or 4 class mates or even worse 4 work mates.
    It is an interesting psychology but I think men subconsciously do not want to talk/meet with the people who may have been with their wife/girlfriend before them because it can be emasculating in many ways.

    In fact I would say it is more relaxing to have a spouse who was with 4 people you do not know (and will not know) than with 1 person who you know.

    In addition the level of familiarity with the said person reduces the chances of you being together. If the person is a good friend for example it is harder than say an acquaintance.

    Very Interesting though, I want to see how you proceed with this!
    Thank you
    Mwamba

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mwamba, you raise great questions. The idea of the partner knowing personally any of the people in their lover's past could definitely have certain effects. It is interesting how the numbers have different meaning based on whether the person is male or female. Also, it made me wonder if a person found out during past sexual disclosure of their partner if any homosexuality had taken place, what kinds of effects could this have on each other. I guess I can see why people might deceive in these situations, because it could protect themselves and their partner from harmful information. But then, is protecting someone from the truth really the best idea? I guess, don't speak unless you are spoken to, might be applicable. Disclose only what your partner asks for?

    Dr. Reeder, age may have different levels of care and concern in terms of their partners past sexual history, but also the time the partner was in serious relationships. These disclosures may need to come with caveats and explanations. For instance if a person is 30 and they spent a majority of their life in serious relationships their numbers may be lower than a person who has had large chunks of their life essentially single.

    Christine, thanks for the positive support. TRUSTABLE is now a word, you better get in on the ground level if you wanna take any credit on it's discover and application.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. While I’ve heard of the “rule of thirds”, I only thought this was a tale. I guess I was wrong! You made great points in your blog. As I was reading your blog, I was thinking more about the “kiss and tell” than the “rule of thirds”. I believe it has to do with my background. Since I was born and raised somewhere else, it was unpopular to say the least to actually disclosure the number of sexual partners. I’ve been married for a long time and my husband to this day has not disclosed his number. It is more a matter of respect in our cultures. I would be interesting to see if you will find anything in your research about how other cultures view the disclosure on the number of partners – of course, if this would be something you are interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Personally, I do not have any STD's, I am checked regularly, and do not feel it is anyone's business how many people I have been intimate with. We are almost 30 and I don't believe this plays a part in the dating scene anymore. At 18 I may have been concerned... I am more worried that my potential partner may be a republican... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Personally at my age the tender age of 51..I don't want to know,nor do I care to share..because as bad as it may sound; I don't want to be haunted by others who came before me! However if you are disclosing honesty should be the answer all the time..But lets get real how many honest people are there?

    ReplyDelete